Bridal Sizes Can Be Frustrating!
So you are ready to go shopping for your dream dress! Yea! And then they come out with a size that isn’t even close to your “true” size, it’s way bigger! You are thinking, “No Way!” They have lost their mind! That is what happened to me. I couldn’t believe it! It turned a fun, truly happy life event into a very sad, self-image damaging time. My wedding dress was 3 sizes bigger than what I normally wear! I was devestated.
We as women, focus on that number. No matter what they say! But I am here to tell you, that you need to let that go. When bridal shops measure you, they have a sizing chart, and then they have to go to the size with your biggest measurement. I hear it all day long as your alterations confidant as to how “wrong” they are. If I had my way, I would cut all those numbers off and use a code then brides can focus on the dress rather than the size!
The bridal shops have a guideline, that the bridal manufacturers have set down. And they need to follow that. It can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it’s generally all bigger than retail sizing. My recommendation is to always go to a bigger size because it is more absolute that I can take your dress in to make it perfect for you, than be able to “maybe” take it out to make it perfect for you. There are times, and styles of wedding dresses and especially bridesmaid dresses, that they just don’t give any fabric in the seams to let a dress out, which means we are scrambling for additional matching fabric to make panels because there isn’t enough time to order another dress. Our cost is the same, regardless if it is a 1/4″ or 4″ plus, so it is better to be safe, rather than sorry.
At Amazing Alterations, we can measure you if you aren’t sure. We can also fit you when your dress comes in. We will also answer any questions than you have before ordering a dress.
Here are some key points to remember when getting measured:
- Wear your undergarments you are going to wear when you wear your dress.
- When doing the hallow to hem measurement, make sure they need to know if it is with/without shoes.
- If the dress is chiffon, go a size bigger if on the boarder of sizes, there is NO SEAM ALLOWANCE to let out.
- If you are in a weight loss regime, measure for your body now, and we will fit it when you are closer to your goal. You just don’t know how your body will change. (I don’t either, so please don’t ask me, I have no idea how you are going to lose weight! Lol!)
- If you are pregnant, go bigger, always go bigger! I do not know how your body is going to change, so just be safe. Again, it is the same cost to go in regardless of how much, so just make sure there is enough fabric.
At Amazing Alterations, we look forward to meeting you, so schedule your appointment today at 763-432-5243. Or email us with your questions or concerns at: firstname.lastname@example.org.